Etihad Guest can be a useful frequent flyer program. Etihad Guest miles can be easy to earn with transferrable points programs like Amex Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou, and Capital One. On top of that, Etihad Guest has some hotel transfer partners, where you can convert hotel points into Etihad miles.
Well, at the moment we’re seeing a bonus being offered when you convert select partner currencies into Etihad Guest miles.
Transfer points to Etihad with up to a 30% bonus
Etihad Guest is offering up to a 30% bonus when you convert select hotel and banking points into Etihad Guest miles during the month of October (through October 31, 2020).
The following hotel partners are eligible for this promotion:
- Accor Live Limitless — points ordinarily transfer at a 2:1 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 4,000 points (20% bonus)
- Marriott Bonvoy — points ordinarily transfer at a 3:1 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 3,000 points (20% bonus)
- Shangri-La Golden Circle — points ordinarily transfer at a 1:1 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 2,500 points (20% bonus)
- World of Hyatt — points ordinarily transfer at a 2.5:1 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 5,000 points (20% bonus)
There are also several banking partners eligible for this promotion, though most of them are banks that primarily issue Middle Eastern credit cards. There are a couple of exceptions, as the following US banking partners are eligible:
- Capital One — points ordinarily transfer at a 1,000:750 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 1,000 points (30% bonus)
- Citi ThankYou — points ordinarily transfer at a 1:1 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 1,000 points (20% bonus)
The terms state that bonus miles should post within 10 business days of the end of the promotion. In each case you won’t see this bonus reflected when you actually transfer points, since these bonuses are being added by Etihad Guest after the fact.
Is this promotion a good deal?
Let’s briefly talk about this promotion on two fronts, starting with hotel transfers.
Generally converting hotel points into airline miles doesn’t represent a great deal, though the one major exception is Marriott Bonvoy. You can convert Marriott Bonvoy points into airline miles at a 3:1 ratio, and you get a 5,000 mile bonus for every 60,000 points transferred.
Redeem Etihad Guest miles for Etihad’s first class
In other words, 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points would ordinarily convert into 25,000 Etihad Guest miles, and then during this promotion you’d get a further 20% bonus, for a total of 30,000 Etihad miles. That means you’re earning one Etihad mile for every two Marriott Bonvoy points, which some may consider to be a good deal.
Then there’s the opportunity to convert transferable points into Etihad Guest miles, which has the potential to be a much better deal. During this promotion you can:
- Transfer Capital One miles to Etihad Guest at a 975:1,000 ratio
- Transfer Citi ThankYou points to Etihad Guest at a 1,000:1,000 ratio
Both of these are potentially good values with a specific use in mind, though personally I wouldn’t be giving up the flexibility of transferable points right now to score a transfer bonus, given just how much uncertainty there is.
Redeem Etihad Guest miles for Air Serbia’s business class
At the moment you can transfer select hotel points and credit card rewards to Etihad Guest with up to a 30% bonus. If you have a specific use in mind for points then this could be a good deal, but I wouldn’t be speculatively transferring any points right now.
Redeem Etihad Guest miles for Royal Air Maroc’s business class
Anyone plan to take advantage of this Etihad transfer bonus?