British Airways launched an Avios sale for members with at least one transaction in their Executive Club accounts in the past 12 months last week that ends tomorrow.
The number of Avios required is discounted by 50% on long-haul and 25% on short-haul flights. The offer is valid for travel through June 30, 2021, but must be booked by October 13.
You can access this offer on BA’s website here.
Examples that BA has listed on its website:
Here are a couple of searches I made:
Stockholm – Mexico City
Sao Paulo – Amsterdam
You have to keep in mind that British Airways doesn’t discount its fuel surcharges that are rather hefty on those transatlantic flights, sometimes making an Avios redemption costlier than a paid ticket, especially with all the sales taking place right now.
However, this sale can make sense if you have expiring upgrade vouchers as I do, book Premium Economic and upgrade to Business (on routes where no higher cabin) or book Business, and upgrade to First.
I would caution again for buying anything more than a week or two out. This Covid-19 will be with us for a while, and entry, transit, testing, and quarantine requirements in place.
Here are the terms and conditions of this award sale:
- Book directly with British Airways (BA) between 06 October 2020 and 13 October 2020 for travel between 06 October 2020 and 30 June 2021. This offer applies to both peak and off-peak Avios Reward Flights and can be booked by any British Airways Executive Club Member that has earned or spent at least 1 Avios in the last 12 months, when logged into their account and with a sufficient Avios balance.
- The required amount of Avios for Reward Flights in World Traveller, World Traveller Plus, Club World and First, will be reduced by 50%. Avios & Money and Reward Flight Saver bookings are included in the offer, but only the Avios amount will be discounted by 50%.
- The required amount of Avios for Reward Flights in Euro Traveller and Club Europe will be reduced by 25%. Avios & Money and Reward Flight Saver bookings are included in the offer, but only the Avios amount will be discounted by 25%.
- The discount set out in clause 2 and 3 is available on direct one-way and return British Airways operated flights.
- Example Avios rates shown are for a return journey on off-peak dates.
- The relevant savings will appear after you have chosen your flights and will be relative to your Avios balance.
- The full airline taxes, fees and Carrier charges will apply per person, per flight and payment must be made in full at the time of booking. Payment by cheque is not accepted. Bookings made over the phone will carry a non-refundable offline booking fee per person per ticket.
- All flights are subject to the notice and conditions of contract contained on each ticket or itinerary, the Executive Club terms and conditions and British Airways conditions of carriage apply.
- Reward Flights are strictly subject to availability which may be very limited or not available at all on some routes. Reward Flights may not be available on some dates. No registration is required.
- This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, promotion or deal, including but not limited to industry discounted fares (including agency, industry, employee discounts) inclusive holidays, group discount fares, child/infant fares or senior citizen fares, whether or not booked in one of the qualifying classes, bookings made with any other vouchers, travel class upgrades and any BA staff friends and family offers (for example, Hotlines). Discounts cannot be used retrospectively. This promotion applies only to new bookings made between 6 October 2020 and 13 October 2020
- No cash or credit alternative is available.
- BA reserves the right to cancel or amend without notice the terms of this offer and any tickets or vouchers issued at offer rates or prices in the event of major catastrophe, war, earthquake or any actual anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other circumstances beyond the reasonable control of BA.
- The promoter of this offer is British Airways Plc, Waterside, PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, West Drayton UB7 0GB. Registered No. 1777777. Offer materials form part of these terms and conditions. This offer is governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.