Marriott Bonvoy’s latest promotion launched in mid-August, and was supposed to be valid through October 18, 2020. Well, the promotion has now been extended through November 10, 2020.
Marriott’s promo: 2,500 points per stay, and more
Registration is still open for Marriott Bonvoy’s current promotion:
- Members can earn 2,500 Bonvoy bonus points per stay, plus a one-time bonus of 5,000 bonus points after the third stay
- Registration is required prior to your first eligible stay
- This promotion is valid for stays between August 13 and November 10, 2020
- Only paid stays count towards this promotion, and not award stays
- There’s no limit to how many bonus points you can earn
- All hotels globally are participating
St. Regis Bora Bora
How valuable is this promotion?
Marriott Bonvoy hasn’t really had any lucrative promotions in a very long time. On the plus side, this promotion is better than the last one:
- You earn 2,500 bonus points per stay, rather than 2,000
- You start earning bonus points with the first stay, rather than with the second stay
- You get a 5,000 point bonus after your third stay
I value Marriott Bonvoy points at ~0.7 cents each, so to me:
- The 2,500 bonus points you earn after every stay are worth ~$17.50
- For the first three stays, you’d be earning an average of ~4,167 points per stay (due to the 5,000 point bonus), which translates to a return of ~$29 for each of the first three stays
If you frequently make short and inexpensive stays then this promotion is pretty solid. However, for those making longer stays, or staying at more expensive hotels, this will hardly move the needle.
Normal Marriott Bonvoy points earning rates
Not factoring in this promotion, Marriott Bonvoy members ordinarily earn:
- 10x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at most brands
- 5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites
Then there are elite bonuses:
- Silver Elite members earn 10% bonus points
- Gold Elite members earn 25% bonus points
- Platinum Elite members earn 50% bonus points
- Titanium Elite & Ambassador Elite members earn 75% bonus points
The above doesn’t include the points you can earn for credit card spending at hotels:
- You can earn up to 6x Bonvoy points per dollar spent on most co-branded Marriott cards
- Otherwise, you can earn up to 3x transferable points (with Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, or Citi ThankYou)
Marriott has extended its current global promotion by a few weeks, offering 2,500 bonus points per stay, plus an extra 5,000 bonus points after three stays.
This is a better promotion than we’ve seen Marriott offer in the past, though it’s still not all that much to get excited about, especially for longer or more expensive stays. Meanwhile for one night stays at cheap properties, this is solid.
What do you make of Marriott’s global promotion?